WHAT IS FUTSAL?
Why is it important for this age group?
Futsal is an exciting, fast-paced small sided football game that is widely played across the world and is officially recognised by FIFA, UEFA and English FA.
The nature of the game places a large emphasis on technical skill and ability in situations of high pressure, and is subsequently an excellent breeding ground for football competencies that can be translated into the 11-a-side format of the game.
Many of the top world class footballers played Futsal in their youth and credit it with supporting their footballing development; players of the calibre of Pele, Zico, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Lionel Messi to name but a few of the South American legends all played and enjoyed Futsal. But Futsal has not just helped produce South American football stars. On the European stage Cristiano Ronaldo, Zidane, Deco, Figo, Xavi and Cesc Fabregas, amongst many others, have played Futsal to develop their skills.
Futsal is a five-a-side game, normally played on a flat indoor pitch smaller goals and a size four ball with a reduced bounce. Games are 20 minutes per half.
There are a number of differences to our traditional version of small sided football, but the dominant elements are the absence of rebound boards and amendments in the laws that encourage and foster skilful, creative play above the physical contact that tends to be a feature of normal five-a-side.
The surface, ball and rules create an emphasis on improvisation, creativity and technique as well as ball control and passing in small spaces.
Summary of Futsal Rules and Regulations
- Five players on court with unlimited rolling substitutions
- Played to lines unlike 5 aside, the ball is returned to play with a kick-in.
- Use of wider and longer indoor pitch.
- All players allowed to enter the penalty area.
- No height restriction on the ball.
- Use of square goals (3m by 2m)
- Use of size 4 Futsal ball (30% reduced bounce)
- Five foul limit. No wall for direct free kick from 10m after fifth foul.
- For the complete Official Rules and Regulations of Futsal see FIFA Rules for Futsal – Click Here